Even though I love wearing elegant and sophisticated looks, I also enjoy creating easy casual outfits. Recently, my love to simple and comfortable looks became stronger. Today I would like to show you my go-to casual outfit and explain how to be stylish every day with a tiny bit of effort.
Whether I am out shopping, arriving at the airport or taking a stroll around a city, I observe what stylish girls and celebrities choose to wear. The off-duty looks I see on others are a great source of fashion inspiration for myself. I like analysing and breaking down the outfits, getting a structure and using it in my personal style.
LEGGINGS VS. TRO– USERS: HOW TO CHOOSE
Gym leggings and skinny jeans are well known go-to options for comfortable bottom wear that easily to dress up or down, depending on plans for the day. These two options are very obvious, comfortable and easy to style. But why not putting a bit more effort for a truly elegant look?
Trousers are the essential part of an elegant look. Choose a high-waisted model to enhance your beautiful waistline. In this look, I decided to style my favourite bottoms at the moment – checked mensy trousers from Topshop. As you know, I have a very soft and cute appearance. However, in order to be in vogue, I wanted to incorporate the androgyny look that is very IN at the moment. Hence the choice for stronger pieces. This model of trousers allows me to create more boyish, modern and relaxed look. It is also very stylish, versatile and comfortable to wear all day long.
1. Leggings require a little more coverage from the top wear. They are better worn with oversized tops and relaxed sweaters if you intend to wear them socially. Alternatively, for light yoga and pilates, they are perfectly fine when worn with sports tops and tanks.
2. If you intend to wear skinny jeans with boots, consider wearing boots on top rather then under the jeans. The end result might not be as classy as it would be with trousers, but you will achieve a really sexy and edgy look. I always advise going for the ankle or over-the-knee boots when worn with skinny jeans. All the rest of the models might look a bit old-fashioned.
3. Mensy peg trousers are very trendy at the moment. When borrowing an item from the boyfriend’s wardrobe, make sure to add a feminine piece to your outfit for a softer look.
CASUAL WEAR & ACCESSORIES: HOW TO UPDATE BORING LOOK WITH ACCESSORIES
Accessories are the key. I cannot stress enough the importance of adding some accessories to your wardrobe and knowing how to style them. Trust me, you don’t have to have huge amounts of bags and scarves to become a London street style queen. Adding some versatile pieces to your collection can truly brighten up your outfits and help you to feel better about yourself.
ACCESSORISING BASICS: TURNING AN EASY CASUAL OUTFIT INTO A STYLISH LOOK
Once you are sorted with your basics, such as bottoms and tops, think about the accessories. They are like an icing on the cupcake. We all know, cupcakes look cute because of their decorations.
A very easy way to improve the outfit in a matter of seconds is to add a hat to it. There is a stereotype that there should be a different hat for every look. This has nothing to do with the reality. Just go for the model that looks best on you. As long as it suits you – your style and your head shape – it will be a perfect match for your casual outfit.
CHOOSE A PERFECT HAT FOR YOURSELF
THE ART OF ACCESSORISING
1. First of all, be brave and observative. Look at what accessories women around you wear and get inspired. My biggest source of inspiration is Instagram. Also, I always keep an eye on brands’ fashion campaigns to see how they style their editorials. For example, H&M and Topshop usually have some good pieces.
2. Don’t think that accessories will cost you a fortune. Nowadays, there are so many affordable, cool and trendy accessories! You just need to look around. Even if you normally shop at Ted Baker or Reiss, it would not heart to have a look at ASOS or H&M. On the other hand, if you are able to invest a bit more into your accessories, go to & Other Stories and COS.
3. Finally, use them. You bought some accessories, came home and put them in the drawer. Right after it, you forgot about their existence and got back to usuals. Sound familiar? Make sure, you remember to wear accessories. The best thing that helps me to remember about them is an organiser. I use a see-through acrylic organiser to store all my jewellery and a couple of shoe boxes for the belts and scarves. Ideally, keep the boxes open so that your items are on display.
I hope you liked my guide on how to style an easy casual look and have found it useful. I truly believe that a bit of extra effort will certainly make you look polished. Being stylish does not take too much time, but brings a lot of benefits. Confidence, feeling good about yourself and lots of compliments are just a few of them.
READ RELATED: How to Establish your Personal Style.
QUESTION OF THE DAY:
What is your go-to casual outfit? Have you experimented with accessories enough?