Recently I had a wonderful experience visiting the Slimmeria retreat in Devon. The retreat is something that I wanted to do for a very long time. And I was just looking for the perfect one to suit my needs. Luckily, I found one and loved it, even more, when I arrived. The reason why I wanted to visit a Slimmeria retreat in Devon is that of the picturesque location, historical building, boutique environment and the fact that it’s two steps away from the sea.
I did a 6-day retreat programme because it’s enough to kick-start your metabolism, detox and lose weight, learn to resist temptations and completely rejuvenate inside and out. The retreat itself is taking you completely out of your comfort zone – you are introduced to a new routine and you need to follow it daily. I can’t say that it’s easy to follow the new schedule and diet – sometimes you just want to sleep, cry or give up. But the benefits are incredible and I have learnt to focus on my goals all the time. As a result, I have managed to lose 3.5 kg during the retreat, but even more important is that I felt happy, re-energised and light at the end. Would I do it again? Definitely!
There is a lot of information about the retreat itself on the Slimmeria website. that is why today I want to share with you my experience, what I have learnt, what surprised me and the things I try to implement in my daily routine. Hope you enjoy it!
Things that Surprised me During the Retreat
- Trust me, if you haven’t done the retreat, you don’t even realise how tasty the food is, especially vegetables, haha! Because Slimmeria is based on a low-calorie diet and a lot of exercises, you are looking forward to every meal. And when you get it, you just love it.
- When you are busy walking in the morning, you don’t even think about food and you don’t feel hungry at all. That’s great!
- Team-work is important, and also you need to be very good at motivating yourself. At some points of the retreat, I was truly fighting with myself inside, and I won. Which made me even stronger and proud of myself.
Things I Try to Maintain After the Retreat
- drinking warm water with lemon in the morning
- stretching a little bit in the morning. Ideally, I want to do pilates more often. I am getting there, I promise!
- doing 10k steps daily
- treating myself to a massage weekly
- going to sleep earlier as well as waking up earlier.
3 Things I have Learnt During the Retreat + Bonus
- There are very powerful things, such a caffeine and sugar, in our diet. But because we are used to them, we don’t feel how they affect our bodies anymore. Most of the people have a coffee every morning followed up with a breakfast full of sugar. [Even if you don’t eat sugar as is, trust me, there is sugar hidden in most of the foods we consume on a daily basis]. There are literally millions of people around the world who are hooked on sugar, often without even realising it. And you only realise how it actually affects your body on a day 3 of retreat, when your body experiences sugar withdrawal.
- The best thing you can do for your skin is a long walk by the sea. Sea and ocean water is extremely healing to skin conditions, – one more reason to love a Slimmeria retreat in Devon. We spend the vast majority of our time in tight, suffocating fabrics and in temperature controlled homes and offices which can suffocate the skin. Therefore, just getting your bare skin into the fresh outdoor air is helpful for skin conditions. If you can expose as much of your bare skin as possible in the fresh air, you will really be giving your skin a chance to breathe.
- You can cope without food for the most part of the day and you actually feel great. When you don’t eat for a while, several things happen in your body. For example, your body initiates important cellular repair processes and changes hormone levels to make stored body fat more accessible. Moreover, when you fast, insulin levels drop and the human growth hormone increases. Your cells also initiate important cellular repair processes and change which genes they express. What’s not to love?
- Bonus: and don’t forget about teamwork. When you go through a complicated experience in your life, you need people around you to support you. Don’t forget, people also need your help. You learn this quickly during the retreat!
How to book your Slimmeria retreat?
There are two locations to choose from: Sussex and Devon. Sussex is an all-year-round retreat, and Devon is opened during March-October. You can find out more about the retreat and make your booking here: http://slimmeria.com/.